I love when my husband works at the Farmers Market on Saturdays. He comes home with eggs, fresh bread, vinegar, honey, fruits and an assortment of veggies. We really don’t need the extra carbs but he always brings home the best cinnamon bread and on Sundays he makes french toast. OH EM GEE is it ahhmazing! Last week he brought home some bell peppers, so we stuffed them. Stuffed peppers are another one of my favorite summer recipes, although cooking them in the oven on a hot day is not ideal! So we usually make them on cooler days or in September/October. I like adding fresh mozzarella because, when melted it is stringer and just tastes so good.
My family has this weird thing about using Uncle Ben’s rice… so that is the rice I used in this recipe. I have tried it with Whole Food brand brown rice and the rice was still hard, even after an hour of cooking and adding more water/tomato sauce. So I am trusting my mom and my grandma because they have been cooking a lot longer than me and it was perfect!
- 7 Bell peppers
- 1 lb Italian sausage (bulk, out of casing)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup rice – Uncle Ben’s
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Brown the sausage on medium heat
- Mince garlic and add it to the sausage
- While the meat is browning, cut the tops off of the peppers then remove the seeds from the inside. It is easy to just take a knife around the center of the pepper and discard the guts. Then place them in a Le Creuset Dutch Oven with a little drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.
- Chop celery and onion and add to meat mixture.
- Add Italian seasoning, rice, Parmesan cheese and tomato sauce. Mix until combined and remove from heat.
- By the spoonful, scoop all mixed ingredients into each pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup water to dutch over and place in oven at 400 degrees. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Place a piece of mozzarella cheese on each pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Eat well & love often,