My husband and I got married June 28, 2014, instead of a traditional cake we had a few different flavors of cupcakes from a local bakery. The cupcake that seemed to be a guest hit was the cannoli cupcakes. These cupcakes were so delicious that I was asked to bring them to a family party the following fall. Since our two year anniversary is coming up I decided to try a recipe! So after testing out a few I found a recipe that seems to work! These cupcakes were so good and the cake was very light. If you like cannolis I HIGHLY recommend this recipe.
Serving size: 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Pistachios for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put cupcake liners into cupcake pan.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter, shortening and white sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk mixture, 1 teaspoon vanilla, baking powder and flour. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, I used the Cuisipro Cupcake Corer to core the cupcake, now I can fill with the cannoli filling.
*I would double as needed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix ricotta cheese and sugar in a stand up mixer with a paddle attachment until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. You want to make sure the texture of the mixture is light and fluffy, if you over mix it may become runny.
- Add cinnamon, mix. Add chocolate chips and mix for about 20 seconds.
- 3 sticks butter
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Pistachios, crushed
- Mix butter until creamy.
- Slowly add powder sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and milk, mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Once the cupcakes are topped with the buttercream sprinkle with crushed pistachios.